I am re-launching my music teaching practice and am available for lessons at Piedmont Piano in Oakland. I am available for coaching in jazz improvisation, jazz guitar technique, beginning and intermediate classical piano, traditional and jazz-focused ear training, and general musical studies focused on the literature and materials of music in the classical repertoire.
Some of my qualifications are:
- I began teaching in New Jersey in 1975 (I worked at Lee Cohen’s studio in Maywood for three years, a very busy location)
- My core approach to the guitar came from studying with Bob DeVos in New Jersey in the mid-1970’s, and through in-depth studies of the major jazz guitarists.
- I hold an MA in music composition from Stony Brook University and BA in jazz studies from William Paterson University,
- I engaged in twelve years private study (off and on) in piano with Gary Kirkpatrick,
- I studied with composers Thad Jones, Jeffrey Kresky, Hugh Aitken, Charles Wuorinen, Billy Jim Layton, John Lessard, and Daria Semegen.
- I have written and self-published a book on jazz studies “A Jazz Life”,
- I have released three jazz CDs as a leader.
- I was also a jazz improvisation student of saxophonist Warne Marsh in New York in the 1980’s and strive to incorporate this approach to teaching. Ear-training is central to this type of learning, and is applicable to all jazz instruments or the classical tradition as well.
- Jazz harmony/fingerboard harmony and technique
- Transcription skills
- Piano (traditional piano instruction in classical repertoire)
- Composition (harmony, counterpoint, orchestration)
All ages welcome, lessons are generally 45 minutes and affordable. First lesson is a mutual interview at no charge.
Please contact me through this site for scheduling, lessons available weekends by appointment. Comfortable studio with best available Yamaha grand piano.
Piedmont Piano is in downtown Oakland, 18th and San Pablo, one block from Fox Theatre. Parking, BART, public transportation nearby.